Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Jonathan Safran Foer Webinar

1. a) The webinar was informative and indirectly persuasive as Foer said the book was not meant to turn people vegetarian but to inform people of the topic of eating animals.
    b) Jonathan Safran Foer
    c) Jonathan Safran Foer Webinar
d) 10-28-14
e) Today we watched and participated in a live stream of sorts with the author of Eating Animals, Jonathan Safran Foer. Foer started off the seminar on a brief description of the book by telling very little of the connection between food, animals, and the environment. After, we had a Q+A session where students asked him questions about the book.
f)(I) Foer's explanation for not eating meat is very interesting and as simple as "why would I kill something when I don't have to." I found this interesting as I am a vegetarian and when people ask me why I don't eat meat I reply with the same thing.
(II) A stand out moments is Foer's response to the question "How do you obtain the protein you need since you don't eat meat?" This is probably the most asked question for a vegetarian. Foer states vegetarians lead healthy and longer lasting lives opposed to meat eaters and Americans eat way too much meat, which is harmful.
(III)Another stand out moment was Foer's response to "If there were no factory farming would you eat meat?" He stated he would still be vegetarian as he himself finds it morally wrong to kill and eat animals if you don't have to, I definitely agree
(IV) An extra stand out moment was his prediction that in 10 years 50% of food choices will be vegetarian. I've thought about it and I can see it happening as well, and hopefully it does because there aer not many options, especially here in Santa Maria.
2. This webinar related to me in the fact that I am vegetarian and although it was barely persuasive or informative as I thought it would be, I agreed with all the answers to the Q+A such as the ones above.

No comments:

Post a Comment